Friday 21 June 2013

....they say if you want to get ahead..........

...get a hat!
..and there must be some truth in that....



...some of the best people just wouldn't be the same without theirs...


....but lately there has been a change..

..every year we attend a 'hat function'.....
...but gradually, year on year,
the hats have disappeared!?!


...i love to wear hats...
..and i love to see people wearing them too..
...they make a special occasion 
really special...



..but nobody seems to want to wear them any more....
...so now at this function...
...i sit alone in my hat...
...determined never to give in...


..but despite the compliments
even i am starting to question myself..

...do i look silly, odd....
...heaven forbid....OLD FASHIONED?
aaargh...


...i agree that these rather stiff looking
creations are not what i'm pining for...

..this year i wanted something 'gatsby',
...a soft, pretty straw hat...
...not too big or formal...


...but can i find one?
...because sadly the impact of this trend..
...is that hat shops are very rare.

...my other problem is that i actually already found the perfect hat....

...i tried on some beauties at the 
eridge country living fair...
...made by the talented
...they were perfect....
..but just a tad beyond my budget...
...so for now i have this option...
...which is vintage and cute
... but a bit tight...
...or
i go bare- headed!?!?
now that would cause a stir!

X






13 comments:

  1. now, I must confess I will wear a hat at. . .well, the drop of a hat!
    I just LOVE wearing hats (have you noticed how differently you walk and hold yourself in a hat?) and think they truly make an outfit, so yes, you must continue to fly the flag for all us hatties everywhere!
    xx
    ps if you dampen the inner band of your too-tight glazed straw hat and stretch it over the top of something (I'm loathe to say a bucket or pudding basin lest you take offence!) it should stretch suficiently to be more comfy. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off to get a pudding basin........... Thanks for your top tip ! X

      Delete
  2. I always look super silly in a hat, I do love the vintage ones though, they really did know how to look glamorous! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trick is to find a style that suits and just be brave!x

      Delete
  3. Lovely post.I am not a hat person either, I only possess one proper hat other than woolly ones I wear in winter and that is a lovely floppy straw sunhat.It was expensive to buy but it squashes down in my case wherever I go and springs back to shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely...... I think it's that kind of squishy straw hat I need...... I'll keep looking..........thank you x

      Delete
  4. Hello miss squirrel! I too love hats...I must have about 10 berets! I LOVE vintage cloche ones!!! ooh do keep wearing hats!!!! I LOVED your comment over on mine...Who says there is no romance left in the world.hehe...Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maria......I could've guessed you would love hats too........if only I lived nearer I suspect you might have just the cloche I'm looking for! X

      Delete
  5. Oh oh I just love hats.........please please stay true to you sweet........wear a hat. You will look truly beautiful.
    Look at all those sweet little poppets sporting the most wonderful hats......just love Paddington.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Love V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello squirrels! To be honest I just can't imagine not wearing one...... So if all else fails it will be the vintage one with squished in hair! X have a lovely weekendvx

      Delete
  6. Hello Squirrel
    I too adore hats, I always have..we used to have a dressing up box full of old hats when I was a child, so I think the seed was sown
    I have a few and I am always on the look out for them..I saw a great tip the other day on how to re -shape a straw hat , just dip it in a bowl of water then while damp re shape, you can even pull in on your head to make sure it shapes to your head... I have had a go and it rally works!
    Keep true to your hats
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh thank you thea- top hat tip! I will give it a go.I think crafty, thrifty,bloggy people are the people who DO like wearing hats..........i think i must keep flying the flag! x

    ReplyDelete

....thank you so much for leaving a comment...i love to hear from you....x